‘In A Different Light’ – A Garden’s Moths and Butterflies
A Photographic Diary DVD-ROM
Released November 2008
The DVD-ROM records in a unique format the results of finding and photographing moths and butterflies in our own garden and others in North Carmarthenshire over a 5 year period. Showing nearly 500 species, mainly photographed in natural settings, it has four main aims
- 1) To record the diversity of moths and butterflies which can be found in a garden environment.
- 2) To portray moths and butterflies as integral (though often hidden) co-inhabitants of our gardens and countryside and a vital food source for birds, bats, and other creatures at all stages of their lifecycle.
- 3) To raise awareness of this rich insect biodiversity amongst gardeners and landowners, since it is they who manage the environment in which these insects flourish or fail.
- 4) To persuade others to look more closely at their gardens and landscape, and help to ensure that similar diversity remains for future generations to enjoy.
The DVD-ROM is arranged as folders of Jpeg images designed to be accessed through a Windows based slideshow on a PC. It is about 4.2Gb and contains over 2000 images which would take roughly 2.5 hours to view. However it is not intended to be viewed at one sitting, more to dip into, refer to, and stimulate discovery. In this respect, although not a comprehensive guide to every moth and butterfly in the UK, the format should make the subject more appealing than much of the rather dry, academic literature currently available.The folder subjects include:-
- Introduction to Moth/Butterfly Biology
- Diary Layout
- Finding and Photography
- Landscape and Garden Habitat
- Moth Camouflage/Butterfly Bravado
- Butterfly and Moth Population Status
- Useful Sources of Information
- Monthly Folders from January to December showing species found, in 4 simple size groups.
- A Complete Listing Folder where all the images from the monthly folders are re-listed (again in size groups) to show individual variations in patterns or colours
- Landscape Images
- Plant Images
- Moth-Art Images
The addition of Landscape, Plant and Moth-Art images also reinforces the message that appreciating these beautiful insects in a holistic way within the environment they inhabit, may help to gain them wider recognition.
The DVD-ROM package includes a 72 minute recording (on a separate CD) of the Dawn Chorus made at our home.
‘In a Different Light’ DVD-Rom is available for purchase for £10.00 plus postage and packing .
Reviews and Comments
- “Thanks very much for the DVD In A Different Light. We have never seen such a spectacular set of wonderful, sharp and incredibly detailed photographs anywhere, what a masterpiece!”
Jon Clifton, Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies.
- “Extraordinary images of garden moths, taken in north Carmarthenshire by retired vet and amateur photographer Julian Wormald.”
The Daily Telegraph Website.
- I recently visited the exhibition about moths at Aberglasny and loved it. I bought the DVD and brought it back to Mozambique with me – OK so I am not using it to identify moths here but it has inspired a group of us to start looking! ……………….. so we are going to the woods this weekend to see what we can see……………… Thank you very much for your inspirational work and for providing us with such a beautiful and interesting resource as well. CD, Mozambique
- ‘In a Different Light’ – Julian and Fiona Wormald have produced a charming and fascinating DVD ROM introduction to the moths and butterflies to be found in the average rural garden. Called ‘In a Different Light’, it has been compiled in South Wales over the last five years and shows most of the moths and butterflies you are likely to see in the southern half of the United Kingdom. It is an excellent aid particularly for the novice moth trapper, as it identifies nearly 500 species of moths and butterflies with excellent photographs taken in their natural surroundings, grouped month by month throughout the year.There are chapters on identification, finding, photographing, camouflage, food plants, moth art and much more. With over 2,000 colour images it is a valuable resource for anyone keen to learn about butterflies and the wonderful world of moths.
Images created for the DVD-Rom of moths and Moth-Art have been used in a number of exhibitions: Aberglasney Gardens from October 2008 to March 2009, the National Botanic Gardens of Wales from April to July 2009, and at Newton House, Dinefwr (National Trust) from September 4th – 18th 2010.
… For 2013 I’ve decided to upload some of the images from the DVD – ROM onto this site, albeit at a reduced resolution for data upload reasons, so that readers can get an idea of the huge diversity of these insects which may visit a garden in a rural setting …
PLEASE SEE THE MONTHLY SUB FOLDERS FOR MOTHS FOUND IN THE GARDEN DURING THE DIFFERENT MONTHS OF THE YEAR. THESE MONTHLY FOLDERS ARE ACCESSED IN THE DROP DOWN BOXES BELOW THE GARDEN MOTHS BOX ON THE HOME PAGE ABOVE.
Last updated on 27/01/2016